Tuesday 16 June 2009

Moving to Delhi

Mark Tulley and Sam Miller both writers and so good at writing about living in Delhi.
William Dalrymple a great writer and historian.
[It made me laugh when my son stated that he was going on a tour of a Mughal Monument and it was his school friend's Dad conducting the tour. What did he know about such things? The clue was in the surname, Dalrymple. OK son you have the privilege of a great historian taking you on the tour.]
So what am I doing blogging as a person living in Delhi. I am an ordinary person. Married, three teenagers and that is it. So that is my blog - Mrs Ordinary.
I'm not a writer or a traveller but a virgin as an ex pat, never before have I followed husband , never been trailing wife, never travelled much, happy with a career and life living in Surrey. I never thought I'd live in Surrey, but that's another story
What made me move? A now or never moment.
We had choices and the one I made was to move to Delhi. Husband has always worked in different countries for periods of time, usually a few weeks but occasionally a few months. This time was different as a longer term contract for two years was on the table.
We could live seperately or move with him.
A difficult decision.
Arguments for:- we stay as a family, my children's experiences are considerably broadened as are mine, I don't have to commute and I needed to change job anyway so it put off the moment. Quite selfish reasons really.
Against:- most importantly leaving friends and family and my happily settled life, losing my pension, leaving my darling daughter behind for 6 months to finish GCSE's
The fors had it.
Now we are all here. Things I hadn't considered have been difficult mainly the climate in the summer. Sooo hot and now humid. The school for my teenage sons is also problematic. I believed that when you pay it's all good, and have now discovered this is not necessarily true.
My daughter stayed with a true and lovely friend and that was good before the little sweetie joined us here in Delhi.
So a happy story.

No comments: